“Detox” is a hot topic in the world of health and fitness. Everyone wants to know how to detox your body without first understanding the way the body works and why choosing the right detox program is so important. No two bodies are the same so everyone should do some investigating before beginning.
What Does Detox Mean?
If you’re wondering how to detox your body, it is first important to understand what it means. Detox, or detoxification, is the means by which your body removes toxins from your body. Toxins are transported through the blood from various areas of the body to the liver for filtration and cleansing.
The body also detoxes through the lungs, lymph system, kidneys, and intestinal tracks. But the primary way the body detoxifies is through the liver via the circulatory system. In fact, the liver is one of the most tireless working organs in the body. It is constantly purifying the blood and helping digest fat, manage hormones and store important vitamins and minerals.
What To Expect When You Are Detoxing
A real detox effort is not for the faint of heart. It’s important to understand that it is a relative extreme endeavor which is why you should always consult your physician before taking part in any detox program.
If you are a particularly unhealthy person, one who smokes and drinks, you are likely to have a pretty rough time of this process. For example, even relatively healthy people have reportedly experienced withdrawal like symptoms which include headaches, shaking, chills, excessive sweating, nausea and even vomiting.
If you are a drug or alcohol addicted person, you should be in the presence of a physician or in a full blown rehabilitation program while going through this process. We do not recommend trying to do this on your own under such circumstances.
Other symptoms to expect, particularly if this is your first detox, are bloating, gas, skin breakouts, skin blemishes, aches and pains in your muscles, fatigue, and irritability. It can be rough. In fact, if you’re here, you may be going through some or all of these right now.
Is Detox Worth It?
Don’t be discouraged! I know, the above paragraphs do not exactly sound encouraging. Detoxing hard and it’s better to understand that before you start, not after. And to answer the question, “Is detox worth it?”. The answer is YES! The feeling you get when your body achieves its homeostatic balance is phenomenal. The bottom line is, you can not be healthy with a body full of waste and free radicals! Therefore, detox IS worth it. So get your mind right because it’s time to get your body right!
Can Detox Treatment Be Harmful?
Yes and No. Of course, it depends on how you choose to detox. On How To Lose Weight In A Week, we only encourage homeopathically administered detox methods. We strongly discourage you from used drug based detox methods unless prescribed, administered, and monitored by your doctor.
When it comes to detox requiring only dietary changes, there is little or no evidence that the program will harm you in any way. To the contrary, detox can lead to massive health benefits.
Benefits Of Detoxing For Weight Loss
The benefits of detoxing for weight loss far outweigh any of the minuses. In fact, the right natural detox program can be transformative. Below are some of the massive benefits of detoxing for a better you!
- Detox program remove toxins: Let me guess, you just called me Captain Obvious! Well then let’s talk about WHAT exactly the benefits of removing toxins are. When your cells are relatively free from toxins, your mood, metabolism, and immune system are measurably better.
- Mental Alertness: Many of the ingredients in detox products and systems will serve to help boost your energy and help with your mental sharpness. For example, lemon, mint, water, and rosemary are all foods that will help hydrate and support your nervous system.
- Healthy Skin: Your skin is made of cells which have the capacity to store the same junk as the cells that make up your other organs. That’s why people who smoke, drink excessively and eat junk food have poor complexions. When your skin cells are loaded with nasty pollutants and toxins, it will wrinkle, become dry, and lose its elasticity. NOT GOOD!
How To Detox Your Body – 10 Steps To Cleanse Your Body
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. We’ve all heard the expression. The same applies to the various approaches to detoxing your body. Below are ten of the many ways you can start today:
- Turn The TV OFF: Yes, I said it! You need to calm your brain and soul, and what better way than to remove what is an addiction in many of our lives? Yes, TV is an addiction. And worse, it fills our heads with depressing content that can be far from a source of balance for us. At night, it’s best you grab a book and read yourself to sleep. Allow your mind to naturally fall asleep without background noise. If you can increase the quality of your sleep, your detox efforts will have maximum returns. This is a perfect lead into the next point.
- Drastically Increase The Amount Of Nutrient Dense Live Foods: These days, these foods are known as superfoods. This means an increase in blueberries, blackberries, kale, broccoli, citrus, apples, peas, and tomatoes. Also, if you’ve got a juicer, use it! In addition to your high fiber foods, juicing greens and fruits is a great way to keep your calories low and nutrition high.
- No Trigger Foods: These are those devilish little additions to our diet that make us crave self-sabotaging and damaging foods. Have you ever notice that once you eat sweets, it seems like you can’t stop? The wrong thing to do during a period of detox is to say to yourself, “just one.” How about, NO! This is a time to exercise some discipline. This is also where meditation and/or prayer can really help.
This is what my typical day looks like with this plan:
- 6:30 AM – Wake Up And Drink Water: After I have my 2 glasses of water, I take of my morning business and get ready for my walk or workout. I like to drink immediately upon waking. This allows my body to absorb the water while I brush my teeth, wash my face, and get dressed.
- 7:00 AM – Walk/Workout: Get moving. Remember, the combination of a great night of sleep, morning water, and some exercise first thing in the morning is a detox programs best friend! Your appetite will be suppressed and your body will be very happy and hydrated. Very important!
- 7:45 AM – Meditate and Pray: This is my favorite part of the day. I usually spend 15-30 minutes reconnect to our source of life. Call it God or The Universe – just quietly connect. I do it through a prayer of gratitude. It becomes a mantra for me. “God, thank you for the restorative powers of this incredible body you’ve given me. Thank you for the discipline and desire to take care of it. I will no longer take this gift for granted. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.” A gracious spirit, I believe, is the key to living peacefully.
- 6:00 PM – Prepare Dinner: For dinner, I prepare a spinach salad with avocado, tomato, onions and whatever else I want – as long as the add ons are alive and fresh. I use freshly squeezed citrus for my dressing but a little olive oil and vinegar is ok. Just don’t over do it with the oils.
- After Dinner: If I absolutely must, I’ll have a piece of fruit as a late night snack. Preferably a granny smith apple or a grapefruit. Otherwise, nothing but water after 7 PM is the rule!
- Bedtime: Remember, TV OFF! Read a book or meditate/pray yourself to sleep. At first it can be hard but eventually you start waking so rejuvenated that you will not have it any other way.
How To Detox Your Body Summary
The bottom line is, detoxing your body shouldn’t have to be over thought and hard. Of course, it takes some discipline but with this program, you can eat! In fact, you’ll eat delicious foods 5-7 times per day. There’s no need to starve yourself to maximize your results. Your body’s elimination process will begin as long as you allow it to.
Remember, the main keys to this program are:
- Don’t eat late.
- Drink water first thing in the morning.
- Walk/Workout second thing in the morning.
- Eat fresh, live, high fiber foods.
- Reconnect to our Creator through prayer and/or meditation.
Please keep us posted as to how this program is working for you. We would love to post your before and after photos as well! Good luck friends!